Holiday Gift Guide: The Best ATV for Adults
- on August 22, 2023
- Categories: Articles
It is never too soon to start planning your big-purchase gifts for the holidays, and buying an ATV for adults is a significant expense for most people. Consider this guide to finding the perfect ATV to give to someone special in your life. It covers all the bases, including the types of ATVs out there, factors to consider before buying, and safety gear and accessories every ATV rider needs.
What Are the Different Types To Choose From When Buying an ATV for Adults?
For first-time buyers, understanding the different types of ATVs is the best place to start. In addition to the various features and designs, most brands offer a broad spectrum of power options to accommodate the intended use. Youth ATVs mainly differ by rider age and skill level, but ATVs for adults focus more on the level of power you need. ATVs for sport, recreation, and hunting can have different power requirements.
Sport ATVs are all about peak performance. If you need a 4-wheeler for someone with motocross competition experience, you want something geared toward racing on a track or in a wide-open setting. You can go the classic route with a machine designed for racing with manual shift transmissions and clutches. However, the modern sport ATV classification also offers automatic transmissions now.
If versatility is a priority, you want a recreation or utility ATV. As the classification implies, these ATVs are for work and play. Most models have some universal features:
- High ground clearance to equip them for more types of terrain
- Plenty of storage space and racks so riders can add accessories
- Independent rear suspension to make long rides more comfortable
- Integrated hitches for towing
Many models also offer electric power steering for easier use. These are undeniably the most popular type of ATV for adults in the industry, and in fact most quads, regardless of classification, have many recreational features. Ultimately, these make great gifts because they have something to offer everyone, from hobby riders to professionals.
A hunting ATV is a subcategory of utility ATV. The foundation is a standard recreational quad, but special features make it more useful for hunting trips. Some unique options and accessories for a hunting ATV include:
- Hand and thumb warmers for the winter hunting seasons
- A camouflage custom paint job
- Rack extenders and bumpers for carrying larger cargo
- A gun scabbard for carrying hunting firearms
- A heavy-duty winch you can activate to pull the ATV out of a muddy situation
If you need an ATV specifically for an enthusiastic hunter in your life, wow them with performance and storage features.
What Brands Have Quality ATVs?
When shopping for ATVs, the number of brands can be overwhelming. Some are better than others in materials quality, performance level, and lifespan. Finding one you can trust and in your budget does not have to be challenging. Three brands to keep in mind are Coolster, RPS, and Tao Rhino. They each have high-performance models with plenty of features any adult rider will appreciate.
For an affordable, quality sport quad, Coolster is a great place to start. Consider these models on the market:
- Coolster ATV 3150DX4: This premium sport ATV has an automatic transmission, electric start, upgraded suspension, integrated floorboards, and comfortably large seats. It comes loaded with feature upgrades, such as a powerful 150cc engine, and is available in five colors, including camo green or black.
- Coolster Ultra 3150CXC: This is another sports quad with a 150cc fully automatic engine, 22-inch rear tires for high clearance, and non-shock rear suspension so that it can easily handle rough terrain.
Coolster started manufacturing ATVs in 2002, mainly catering to the motocross community with high-quality sports quads designed for peak performance.
RPS is another trusted ATV brand with a versatile selection. If you want a utility ATV for adults or one equipped for racing, great models from RPS include:
- RPS UT 200ATV-21: This full-size model has an automatic reverse and 21-inch tires. It comes with a front bumper protector and front and rear racks and will hold up to 300 pounds. The suspension features coil-over shocks and double A-arms to create a smooth ride.
- RPS RS200-ATV-200CC: This full-size adult ATV features an automatic transmission with reverse, full suspension, and electric start. It has a race-style body and a 4-stroke, air-cooled, single-cylinder engine.
- RPS TORNADO 250: This 4-speed, manual engine, adult racing ATV has 23-inch tires, electric start, and upgraded suspension. The 250cc engine has all the power a serious racer needs to compete, and the manual transmission is an advantage on the track.
RPS manufacturers ATVs under strict quality control with the guidance of the same industry standards followed by larger brands like Honda and Yamaha. This is a more affordable option without sacrificing quality.
Tao Rhino creates excellently designed utility ATVs for adults. Their models are powerful and comfortable, offering different styles for hunting, trail riding, hauling, or simply going on a joy ride. Their most popular machine is the Tao Rhino 250, a full-size utility quad with a low-maintenance engine, electric start, remote kill, and heavy-duty steel cargo racks. It has plush seating and roomy integrated floorboards for optimal comfort on virtually any terrain.
What Kinds of Accessories Do ATVs for Adults Have?
If you really want to impress with this big gift, spring for ATV accessories to customize the ride. The essential accessories every ATV rider needs include:
- Ratchet straps to keep the ATV in place when they haul it
- Battery charger in case the battery dies while far from service
- Rear storage or a dry box to fit the model of ATV and keep gear safe during travel
- Winch to pull a quad out of a sticky situation
- Mirrors to avoid spinning around to look back
A simple online search will yield many accessory options for an ATV for adults. Cup holders, phone mounts, first aid kits, and GPS systems are fun and relatively inexpensive ways to add something custom and thoughtful to your present.
What Safety Gear Do Adult Riders Need?
Safety gear is an absolute necessity for ATV riders. To begin with, no ATV is complete without a helmet. Some states legally mandate helmets when riding quads, but even if your state does not, helmets save lives and should be a priority, especially when using the ATV for aggressive riding.
Goggles are also necessary, especially for rough terrain and high-speed racing. A motocross track slings dust and dirt everywhere. Without goggles, riders risk severe discomfort, possible injury, and significant disruption in their field of vision.
Gloves and boots protect the hands and feet when riding through thick brush or during the colder months. The hands never leave the handlebars during a ride, so riders need high-quality gloves to keep them safe. Boots can also protect from burns and materials trapped under the carriage during a ride.
What Other Factors Should You Consider When Buying an ATV?
With knowledge about the rider and their style preferences, you are most of the way to finding the perfect ATV for adults. There are a few more things to know to get the right gift.
Performance and Skill Needs
When you see 150cc or 250cc in an ATV's description, the cc stands for cubic centimeters, a measurement of the volume of engine cylinders. This affects the amount of power. The higher the number, the more power the motor has.
Be mindful of the rider's skill levels when you purchase an ATV. Avoid high-powered machines for newbies. They can be a challenge to handle. Instead, look for a smaller engine, more straightforward controls, and a more accessible power output. Many manufacturers offer free courses with purchases for new riders.
Type of Tires
The tire styles and tread patterns will impact the ATV's performance. Consider how the giftee will use their new ride and find tires to meet their needs:
- All-terrain, or trail, tires are the most common and will handle most situations well.
- Mud tires are ideal for more aggressive performance needs and work best on softer surfaces.
- Snow tires specifically provide better traction on snowy terrain.
- Race tires offer better traction and durability on motocross track terrain.
- Sand tires are designed to ride on sand and are necessary for dune riding.
Finally, turf-saver tires keep the lawn safe from destruction with a minimal tread depth to avoid making tracks. Choosing the right tires will improve the quad's performance and avoid putting undue stress on other parts.